[RULE] Hold that new iso!

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Wed Jan 22 03:22:21 EET 2003

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 12:14 am, Richard Kweskin wrote:

> Had a complaint from slinky about not being able to id a 486 DX (Zenith
> z-station 510) Rather than falling back to installing the i386 kernel
> the slinky kernel paniced. Since I thought all the other packages were
> already installed I tried to get the i386 kernel to install manually on
> another startup but ran out of time. In order to get rpm to put the
> kernel package bits in the right place, having started up from a
> floppy, is pivot-root needed or is there another method??

Before you try fixing the kernel issue, can you please give me the output
of 'uname -m' as well as 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' ? The uname command failing
shouldn't cause a kerenl panic. At least I hope not...

Once you have that, try this:

mount your / device on /newroot
mount /dev/hda2 /newroot (for example)
Then, mount any other partitions.
mount /dev/hda1 /newroot/boot (etc)

You may need a valid mtab file in the chroot environment:
cp /etc/mtab /newroot/etc/mtab.fallback

cd /newroot
chroot . (chroot <space> <period>)
This should get you a bash shell. If it doesn't, then try
'chroot . /bin/bash'. If that fails, try /bin/ash

Once you have completed the chroot....

Check to see if you have an mtab file that is correct:
cat /etc/mtab, if not, copy the mtab.fallback to mtab....

mount -t proc /proc

Install any missing packages, fix up /etc/lilo, and run lilo -v, being
sure it completes properly.

Once done, back out of the chroot environment:
umount /proc
rm -f /etc/mtab
exit
(returns you to the installer busybox/ash shell)
reboot

If all went well, the new system should boot.

Good luck, hope that helps.