[RULE] kdrive-psyche-slinkyv0.3.5

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Wed Jan 22 03:35:40 EET 2003

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 12:15 am, Richard Kweskin wrote:
> Hello All
>
> A proper report (detailed) will follow (that's two owed, now!)
>
> On a second pentium I @ 120 with 32MB fluxbox and Xvesa start almost
> instantly! kmail and kppp work, but of course are much slower.
>
> More interesting to me was the S3 vision 968 graphics card (2MB) works
> so well. XFree86 4.2.0 did not support the card (though possibly 4.2.1
> does (not tried it yet.)

If you forced 4.2.0 to use the vesa module, it may have worked, I'm not
sure.

You may want to try the Xtrio driver with this card as well.

> It seems to need every package that Michael put on the XFree86 packages
> (disk 1 & 2) for slinky.

The package list for slinky uses the stock XFree packages, and should
satisfy all dependencies. It installs things you do not need with the
kdrive server. For example, you can stop the xfs font server, and remove
the package, kdrive doesn't use it.
The XFree source rpm I put together installs a smaller X overall, with far
fewer dependencies. It's a big download, and takes some time to compile
on a slower machine.

> Added fluxbox and simply placed Xvesa in the
> same directory where XFree86 goes, i.e. /usr/X11R6/bin/ renamed the
> link X to X.ori (so I could have it back and also could copy the modes
> X and XFree86. Didn't know about s (always the newbie, that's me) but
> learned that chmod 711 Xvesa followed by chmod u+s Xvesa does the
> trick.

chmod 4711 Xvesa should do the trick. (Again, if you build and install the
XFree packages, the servers are installed properly, and this step can be
skipped.) You do still need to manually create a link to the proper X
server.

> Thanks to Michael's example startx file I saw that
> defaultserverargs="-screen 800x600x24 -2button" edited into the
> existing startx file works. (I suspect, however, that other bits need
> tidying-up in this startx file, because there are a lot of complaints
> that are revealed after exiting Xvesa. Also created the file .xinitrc
> with
>
> kmail &
> exec fluxbox
>
> works for me but kppp wants the root password. What is the syntax for
> .xinitrc to add kppp to the list of apps to start-up with?

I believe you need to set the kppp binary to setuid (chmod 4711
/usr/bin/kppp) then just add it to your .xinitrc file as /usr/bin/kppp &