[RULE] Boot-floppy detect.

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Wed Jan 22 22:57:54 EET 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 02:13:20 at 02:13:20AM -0500, Fratoni Michael  mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net  wrote:

> On Tuesday 21 January 2003 01:45 pm, Vegard Munthe wrote:
> > months, but I have around $100 to spend on getting it done. :) We
> > receive about 200 PCs per month, and those collectiing them are
> > computer-illiterates, i.e. this floppy is imperative for successfull
> > registration of the equipment. Is there anyone here who knows of a good
>
> Yours for the asking, just let me know and I'll make it available. The
> problem I see with a boot floppy is size. Detect doesn't build against
>
> You'd need about 800k of space available (share and sbin, above). However,
> there are probably plenty of ways it could still be made useful. Let me
> know if you're interested.

I have never heard of detect before, and am really sleepy tonight, so
maybe is a stupid idea, but couldn't this "hw detection toolkit" stay
in two floppies? Would it be acceptable? Something like:

Mr volunteer, please insert the floppy with the blue label and power on
(that disk contains Tomrtboot stuff, but the volunteer will not knows,
it's just the "first/blue floppy")

That boot image, well, boots, moves itself in RAM, and prints on the screen:
"Yo, Mr volunteer. Please extract me, insert the yellow label
floppy, and press Enter when done"

Yellow floppy is inserted, detect is loaded with its database, looks
around and says: Mr volunteer, please insert a blank floppy so I can
record everything I found.

Does it make sense?

--
Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

Needs are a function of what other people have.