[RULE] Boot-floppy detect.

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sat Jan 25 02:17:36 EET 2003

I've been away for a week...

Michael Fratoni wrote:

> The version I have is linked against glibc, and is 511k in size.
> Plus, it needs it's database available at run time as well, which
> adds a little more.
> $ du -h
> 288K    ./share/detect
> 292K    ./share
> 280K    ./lib
> 520K    ./sbin
> 32K     ./include
> 8.0K    ./man/man1
> 12K     ./man
> 1.2M    .
>
> You'd need about 800k of space available (share and sbin, above).
> However, there are probably plenty of ways it could still be made
> useful. Let me know if you're interested.

Remember that you can format a high-quality floppy for 1.7 MB (the
theoretical limit is 2.88 MB IIRC). Some mini-distros like mulinux [1]
use this trick to stuff more material onto the floppy. The dd command to
write the bigger image will just have a bigger bs:
dd if=slinky-detect.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=17k

> My non-negotiable fee is....
> $ 0.00  ;)

Ditto. ;=D

Best regards,