[RULE] Boot-floppy detect.

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sat Jan 25 03:00:14 EET 2003

Vegard Munthe wrote:

> The 'SED' solution will have skripts for printing a pretty message
> with the PC informatin on screen. It should look somewhat like this:
>
> CPU:   PI 200 MMX
> MEM:   32 MB
> DISK:  500 MB (This has to be calculated from reportdata)
> DISK:  800 MB
> VIDEO: SiS 6326 (86C326)
> CDROM: Philips PCA403CDA

Getting this nice info out of the sometimes rather cryptic detect output
can be tricky. I would suggest to do it on a regular workstation (aided
with a "translation database" for detect's output ==> readable data),
not on the floppy. Let the floppy just gather information and shout loud
if space is near zero, so the tester goes and unloads the report
directory.

> The latter solution is something I am working on the backend database
> for, and would need a method to save the report.txt file with a
> generated ID which is unique _for that floppy_, and a method to
> store several reports.

> I would then use my software to extract the reports and fill inn the
> information in our computer register.

As said, I think a database that links the detect output to human
readable information will be able to resolve nearly anything after a
short initialization period.

> Here I was thinking on a simple memtest, short write to harddisk
> test, mouse/keyboardtest, and video test.

memtest86, bonnie++, badblocks... I don't know about a video test other
that showing somethink on the screen and let the tester type y nor n if
s/he could see the test image.

> I especially don't want to hamper RULE by bogging one of the
> maintainers with other work. :)

Well, as you have seen, Michael is quite a miracle worker! :-))) Thanks
a lot, Scotty! ;=D

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/