[RULE] Kdrive

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sat Jan 25 22:57:51 EET 2003

On Saturday 25 January 2003 09:41 am, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 03:26:35 at 03:26:35AM -0500, Tim Sutinen wrote:
> > Does someone have information about getting kdrive running on RH 8?

> He already started working on this before Christmas. Look in the list
> archives, october/december 2002

That depends on what you are trying to do. I've built kdrive servers that
will work on Red Hat 8.0, as well as slimmed down rpm packages for Red
hat 7.3 and 8.0.

If you just want to try the servers, grab one (Hopefully compatable with
your video hardware) here:
http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/XFree86/kdrive/8.0/
Install the server in /usr/X11R6/bin/
chmod 7411 (server)
ln -s (server) X
startx

Note that the kdrive servers don't use a config file, options must be
passed on the command line, or from inside the startx script.

There is a sample of the startx file I use on my laptop for the Xchips
server:
http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/XFree86/kdrive/startx

The only change is this line:
defaultserverargs="-screen 800x600x24 -2button"
to start in 800x600 mode, and emulate a 3 button mouse.

Or...
If you want to build rpm packages yourself, I have a nosource rpm package.
You need the (3) X420src* packages from:
ftp://xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.2.0/source/

Then, you can build the packages using:
http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/XFree86/XFree86-4.2.1-11RULE.nosrc.rpm

The rpmbuild process will patch the source to 4.2.1, and build the xfree86
rpms, which will include the kdrive servers.

Note that kdrive doesn't use the xfs font server, and doesn't support true
type fonts. It does have a much smaller memory footprint, though.

If you need more info, feel free to ask.