[RULE] SCSI install

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Tue Jan 28 04:51:51 EET 2003

On Monday 27 January 2003 08:20 am, Forgosh, Seth wrote:
> Michael,
> 	Thanks again for the great support. The install was fairly straight
> forward on my Vmware machine. On this box, I had a SCSI CD-ROM drive
> and a floppy drive available with an IDE hard drive. Before booting
> from the CD, I copied the scsi_mod.o, BusLogic.o and sr_mod.o modules
> to a floppy. This was necessary to enable SCSI support once the system
> was booted. If possible, in a future release, it would be helpful if
> these modules were available without the floppy.

I'd love to make them available, I just don't know where to find the room.
The installer floppy is pretty near full (90K free), and while disk2 has a
little room, there isn't enough (~200K) room to include much of a driver
assortment. The 3 you needed amout to 193K, and don't even make a dent in
the available scsi modules.

Newer kernels support gzipped modules, but the kernel itself is a bit
bigger, so I'm not sure of the savings there. On top of that, busybox's
modutils don't deal with gzipped modules.

In my testing, I've been able to gzip the modules, manually unzip them,
and then load them, but that's asking a lot of the end user.

I suppose several images containing the more common modules might be
useful. Thoughts, comments anyone?

> Anyway, once I booted
> from the CD, I mounted the floppy and loaded the SCSI modules via
> insmod commands. I then ran the setup.sh and selected an all CD-ROM
> setup. When prompted for my CD device, the script couldn't find it, but
> all I had to do was switch to another terminal session and mount the CD
> manually. With that done, the setup proceeded as normal and I was left
> with a working RH 8.0 build in 12 MB of RAM!! If anyone has any
> questions on my setup, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to
> answer. Thanks again.

Any suggestions on helping the script find an SCSI CD-ROM? What does
/proc/scsi look like, assuming it exists? Not having a machine with SCSI,
I haven't a clue how to get the hardware located.

Currently, the script get's it's CD-ROM info from
/proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info

Thanks for the report!