[RULE] About urpmi

Alan Le Corre alan.lecorre at wanadoo.fr
Sat Feb 1 15:17:49 EET 2003

Le Samedi 1 Février 2003 11:17, M. Fioretti a écrit :
> As far as urpmi and apt are concerned, yes, we (well I at least) have
> already heard of them. The reason why they are not specifically
> mentioned in the website yet is that we need to look at the dependency
> problem with an almost opposite approach first.
>
> urpmi and apt are perfect for the user who says "I have no time, but a
> new PC with a lot of RAM and disk space to waste: just install this,
> even if it causes 50 more unneeded packages to fill my PC"
>
> Before that, we need to answer to questions like: " I need to browse
> the web, except flash sites, and to exchange digitally signed email:
> what is the combination of packages which gives these functions with
> the smallest usage of disk, RAM and CPU cycles?"
>
> We also need to find automatically the answer to questions like:
> "given a very basic install, which of these ten browsers can be used
> with the smallest amount of extra packages installed?"
>
> urpmi and apt, as far as I know, are not built to deal with this kind
> of problem. Please correct me if I'm wrong. This is what led to the
> experiments with the DAn tool:
> http://www.rule-project.org/en/sw/dan.php" Any help in porting it to
> RH 8.0, and generally to complete it are really welcome. If the same
> results can be achieved with other existing tools, please let us know.

(sorry if i do some mistakes, i don't speak english very well)

In fact urpmi & apt are not specially for users with nice PC and a lot of RAM
& HD space, they work with the command line and don't need a lot of RAM (8MB
is fine).

The problem come from the packages. The dependencies must be handled more
efficiently.

You want to use the actuals redhat packages on a small PC but they are not
appropriate. If you want to optimise the softwares to run it on a old PC you
need to modify some RPMs.

urpmi & apt are just tools which made your life more pleasant.

Perhaps you will say it can be a heavy work, but we don't have thousands of
packages and we don't need to modify all the packages, some of them are done
very well.
You can also say that the work will be repeated each time a new version come.
However it is rare because a big part of the new softwares are to fat to run
on 8MB of RAM and the work we have to done is to update (bugs, security) the
packages we have modified (not all the packages).

To conclude, i think that modifying the needed RPMs is a better solution than
ignoring urpmi.

We can give to RULE a real optimised, easy to use & install system.
Thanks to everybody, i love this project :)

Alan