[RULE] Planning for Red Hat 8.1

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Tue Feb 18 08:03:17 EET 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 00:12:49 at 12:12:49AM -0500, Fratoni Michael  mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net  wrote:

> I can have slinky updated and ready in a matter of a few days, once I have
> the disks available. Miniconda should't be overly difficult either, now
> that I've got 8.0 working.
>
> > 3) DOCUMENTATION of what already exists, starting from the installer
> > internals, kdrive, and the whole install guide. Michael needs help
> > with this (I can put together the install guide): anybody?
>
> Yes, documentation help would be wonderful! Waiting on me for docs isn't a
> good idea. ;)

Considering what you say above about , ie that now the
slinky/miniconda upgrade process is quite straightforward, I'd say
that the documentation upgrade should be given priority, shouldn't it?

I don't think nobody is gonna blame us if we don't release the day
(or the week) after 8.1 goes public, as long as we make clear what
already exists, and how to use it (see Jason's case).

More practically now:

What do you (and all other list members) consider the best way to
produce/update/organize documentation? I can easily
merge/edit/integrate any past email, as well as any private message
anybody sends and put it online for review (**). Before that, however,
PLEASE EVERYBODY send his opinion, and specify clearly:

	what pages are missing on the website, or should be updated
	what specific paragraph you want to be added/updated to which
		specific web pages

	any other similar request

I'm thinking of changing the header line "Download the latest iso"
with a line saying "Go straight to the ISO, MINICONDA installer, or SLINKY
installer", with each upper case word being a link to the home page of
that particular thing (which we have to update, of course) Each page
would in turn have a link to the current version of the corresponding
thing.What do you think?

AGAIN: PLEASE EVERYBODY let us know what is missing to make RULE as it
is today easily useable. Upgrading it to the next version will be much
easier after that

	Thank you in advance,
				Marco Fioretti

(**) I have already sent off list to Michael the ASCII text version of
all documentation pages, so he can edit them at will, send them back
to me and have them published. Anybody else interested in such a
review/contribution, or just to have an ASCII dump of the whole site
for private fun, just ask me off list!

--
Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

If you have the right attitude, interesting problems will find you
                Eric S. Raymond, "The Cathedral and the bazaar", chapter 2