[RULE] FWD: question about RULE installers

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Fri Feb 14 07:23:08 EET 2003

On Thursday 13 February 2003 09:35 pm, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 07:55:57PM -0500, Michael Fratoni wrote:

> I think it's mainly to make sure there aren't weird kernel version
> clashes. But is really enough of the code to reduce memory useing in
> the first stage (loader) part of the installer? Wouldn't you need to
> change the second stage too? I guess I need to look at your code a bit
> before talking more. :)

Yes, to actually reduce the real memory requirements of anaconda, other
changes would need to be made. However, keep in mind that our goal was to
continue to use the stock media.

Miniconda for Red Hat Linux 7.2 would install without difficulty with 12M
of RAM. (For 7.3, the installer needed a bit more, 12M became a bit
"iffy".) There is an artificial limit coded in into anaconda that our
patches remove. (Even the stock anaconda would install in 16M, once the
hard coded limit was removed.) Additional savings are gained by reducing
the number of packages installed for a "base" system. Fewer packages,
less work setting up and executing the rpm transaction. It's really just
a quick hack taking advantage of the anaconda 'updates' function.

> > A Miniconda installer? No. I never quite got around to finishing
> > Miniconda for the 8.0 release. I am currently fooling around with a
> > new version of Miniconda for 8.0, which should allow rapid release of
> > an installer for the next official release. Assuming of course that I
> > get it finished and it works...
>
> If you're fooling around, I'd suggest at least using the copy from the
> Phoebe2 beta, if not rawhide. That'll save you trouble when the next
> release comes out....

Yes, I have a Pheobe2 system set up for testing as well.

> > I can easily create an anaconda based installer for any given
> > version, but it would require RULE distributing the ISO images. I
> > don't have the bandwith for that, and I doubt the FSF would be happy
> > if we used their servers either. We aren't trying to create a new
> > distro, and that is
>
> I *do* have a new distro, so my goals are a bit different. :) What
> you're doing does sound very cool, though.

> > Depending on your needs, maybe. ;)
> > The Slinky installer is an option. It does _not_ do everything that
> > Anaconda does, but it does install a working system. On first boot,
> > kudzu
>
> Is it able to do a network-based install? That's key.

Slinky is capable of NFS, HTTP, and FTP installs. (I've even done a serial
port install with a null modem cable and slattach on an old Zeos notebook
w/ 8M of ram and an 80 Mb hard drive. It was painful.) For the 8.0
release, you need to be sure to provide an i386 kernel package if the
target system requires it. The installer scripts still need a little more
cleaning up to handle the missing i386 package. I should have another
version of slinky ready in a few days with several fixes as well as a lot
of cleanup.

Network installs aren't too difficult with slinky. The only issue is that
the network must be brought up manually. The installer makes no attempt
to discover hardware and load modules. (We do now have a bootable
hardware detection floppy to help with identifying hardware.) A script is
included allowing the user to define several variables (IP, modules,
gateway, etc.), which does make it a bit easier to get networking
established. The slinky ISO image (27Mb) includes an i386 kernel package,
all the modules contained in the kernel-BOOT rpm package, and PCMCIA
tools. If the ISO method isn't possible, the modules can be obtained from
my server. Not ideal, but it works.

> Either way, this looks like a good way to get a modern RH on my Toshiba
> Libretto (which has been stuck at 6.1), even if it turns out not to be
> helpful for the university at large.

It should be useful enough for the laptop at any rate. As for the
University at large, I'm not sure. Hopefully it will be, if not now, as
it progresses. Progress to date is slow, and depends on my ability to
find the time to write and test changes to the scripts.