[RULE] About French translation and web page readability

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sat Feb 15 03:34:42 EET 2003

"M. Fioretti" wrote:

> Originally, the reason to have duplicated menus on top and bottom was
> to guarantee faster navigation, even on pages longer than the screen,
> without using frames. Now that everything is scripted properly, ie my
> txt2php script (check the sw map) works well enough, it would be no
> real problem to change the layout, but the original reasons still
> hold, I believe. It's not a dogma, of course.

Marco, I agree with you. Table support isn't pefect with some text-only
browsers, and it always requires a lot of system resources. And it's a
big waste of space on pages which are longer than the menu.

Personally, on my homepage, I just have a link to the main page of the
category at the bottom of every page. The category main pages are
sitemaps: They provide links to every page of the category. Thus any
page in the category is just two clicks away, and no space is wasted for
a menu. I have not yet heared complaints about my way...

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 7.3 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/