[RULE] RULE w/RH8.0

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Sun Feb 16 20:23:54 EET 2003

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 02:29:35 at 02:29:35AM -0800, Jason Roysdon  jroysdon at hotmail.com  wrote:

> Is RULE currently supporting RH8.0?  It would appear that it is from:
> http://www.rule-project.org/en/docs/rule_install.php
>
> "The RULE install guide (version 0.1, 2003/01/27)
>
> This guide describes how to install Red Hat Linux using the RULE
> installers, boot floppies and ISO images. It mostly covers installation of
> Red Hat 8.0, but many informations are still valid with versions 7.x of the
> same distribution."
>
> I've downloaded
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/rule/images-0.7.0/boot.img and have
> used it with 'dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k'
>
> (btw, is there a way to force dd to check for errors?  I had a floppy that
> produced no error with this, but after I'd type 'linux updates' it'd start
> to load the kernel and then error out saying insert a new disk).
>
> I have my RH8.0 install CDs (which work just fine if I use the standard
> RH8.0 boot.img) and have created the update floppy from
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/rule/updates-v0.7.1.tar

Jason,

I'll leave to Michael a complete detailed answer, but:

the directory http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/rule/images-0.7.0

has nothing newer than February 2002, 8 months before RH 8.0 was
released. Latest slinky works with Red Hat 8.0, I and others (see the
test page:  http://www.rule-project.org/en/test/ ) were able to
install that distribution with RULE installers.

Please try the latest slinky images (URL:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/rule/slinky/slinky-v0.3.6/ )

or

http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/slinky/slinky-v0.3.6/

and let us know what happens.

I'm sorry that you had to start with an older version. This is
Michael and min (mostly mine) fault for not updating all the
documentation and links. I hope that the two of us can fix this together soon,
definitely before RH 8.1 is released (see my post "planning for 8.1"
of some days ago).
Please accept my apologies for letting you make a false start.

In the meantime, every **precise** pointer to broken/outdated link, or
titles ow paragraphs/whole new pages that you would like to see added
to make the task easier are welcome (well, NEEDED actually, since we
tend to give some things for granted)

	Ciao (and don't forget to register that PC as explained in the
test page above, it will hopefully documentation and debug easier)

Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and
many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad,
wholesome, charitable views of man and things cannot be acquired by
vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.