[RULE] do we need a spreadsheet of the software?

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 24 03:51:57 EET 2003

>From: "M. Fioretti" <m.fioretti at inwind.it>
<snip>
>as it might be evident from the other messages I just posted here, I
>am quite melted right now, so I will think over your whole message
>when I have recovered some sleep.

Take your time.

>1) when you say "install programs can download this spreadsheet" you
>mean from the local server from which they are installing, right? not
>from the Internet

Actually, I meant the rule web site. In other words, when people install
from the Internet, they can get the latest list from the RULE web site. For
those who wish to store a local copy, they can store it on their servers,
then configure their copies of the scripts to fetch the list from their
servers.

>2) Couldn't we go one step further (assuming I understood what you
>mean) and parse the SW map to generate directly a script with a bunch
>of lines "rpm this.X.Y"?

I'm not sure what you mean by "script". Parsing the SW map is a good thing,
to save us time. It's just a matter of when somebody wishes to make the
parsing routines. Why do you recommend creating a script with a bunch of
lines that say, "rpm this.X.Y"? I ask because I'm not too concerned about
it, & I am open to discussion.

>From my experience with Slinky rpm installs, the ftp & http features
contained in the rpm executable is not good enough to handle problem
downloads. However, wget contained in busybox is good for that. If there are
interruptions, then wget can continue. In summary, the challenge with
network installs, is to actually get the rpms onto the local network.

Comments? Questions?

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong