[RULE] do we need a spreadsheet of the software?

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Thu Feb 27 04:24:38 EET 2003

Colin Mattoon wrote:

> This answers the problem of machines too small to download an ISO
> and perform a hard drive installation. Such a box is too small to
> run a lot of stuff anyway.  The two part installation gets it up
> and running when it is most vulnerable to installer crashes. The
> second stage wouldn't rely on the installer, just an ftp client
> and a set of instructions to follow.

Sounds good! Thanks!

> Another couple of resources that might be linked at the RULE site
> are Freedos and Freesco Linux. A single floppy with Freedos will
> let the owner of a 486 SX fdisk and format a hard drive barely
> large enough to hold an ISO, and prepare the machine to install
> Freesco, a single floppy Linux distribution on the hard drive.
> While Freesco is typically thought of as a floppy only
> router/firewall distribution, it is very easy to set up as an
> Intranet webserver as well on a DOS formatted hard drive. It uses
> "snarf" as the download utility, and thttpd as a webserver. A 486SX
> 25 Mhz machine with a small hard drive and 8 MB RAM is what I've
> been using as my own with Freesco.

I never used these. Sounds like a possibility for really low-end
machines! On the other hand, I would like to use original Red Hat Linux
packages as much as possible - makes it a lot easier to install updates
and security fixes...

Colin, I hope you get well soon!

Best regards,
Martin Stricker