[RULE] do we need a spreadsheet of the software?

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Thu Feb 27 20:22:06 EET 2003

Colin,

please wrap your lines every 72/75 characters, thanks.
Specific comments inline

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 23:25:56 at 11:25:56PM -0800, Colin Mattoon  cjm2 at lewiston.com  wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 23:29:07 +0100
>
> Some additional thoughts on network installs:
>

> 1. A very minimal subset of RULE/RedHat could be made available at the RULE site.

Isn't this what the current ISO already is, or could become with a
little tweaking?

> 2. The newly installed minimal machine is equipped with an ftp
> client like lftp,..
OK, at a first glance. The two stage install is more or less the same
concept I described in my other thread on this subject, isn't it?

> 3. The third directory at the rule site would contain an ISO..
> the ISO would contain everything that is included with RULE.
OK if this is a separate iso from the one in point 1, and includes all
and only what is specifically made from/for RULE.

> This answers the problem of machines too small to download an
> ISO.....
>
> The alternative, downloading an ISO with all the bells and whistles,
> makes a more fully featured installation available to those who have
> the hardware resources suited to running a lot of stuff.

I find the starting assumptions above describing only a limited set of
cases. I, for example, have a very small laptop, which can, with the
trick explained in the install report, boot from CDROM. I also have
dialup (everything above ten MB is an odyssey to download), but a more
powerful desktop with CD-burner, and local magazines which give RH CDs
very early after official releses. I agree with the proposals,
however.

> So why HTTP? ....
OK for HTTP, must think over a bit more the other issues

> resources that might be linked at the RULE site are Freedos
>and Freesco Linux.
OK, even if I need to read it more slowly

Now the REAL question: may we take your original message as a promise
that you will take care of the "network install" section of the RULE
install Guide :-) ?

Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

Don't think that a small group of dedicated individuals can't change
the world. it's the only thing that ever has.  (read on /.)