[RULE] RULE w/ RH 8.0 using 3Com 3c905CX-TXM

Jason Roysdon jroysdon at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 25 06:56:48 EET 2003

From: Michael Fratoni <mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net>
Subject: Re: [RULE] RULE w/ RH 8.0 using 3Com 3c905CX-TXM
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 19:39:38 -0500

On Monday 24 February 2003 01:19 pm, Jason Roysdon wrote:
 > A few weeks ago I installed using RULE Slinky 0.6.3 and RH 7.3.
 > Everything just worked, including DHCP.
 >
 > Last week I installed again using RULE Slinky 0.6.3 and RH 8.0.  DHCP
 > now doesn't work.  I know the DHCP servers are up and running and that
 > there are addresses available (actually, we do static MAC->IP
 > assignments).  If I manually set
 > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 it will initialize eth0 just
 > fine:
 > BOOTPROTO=none
 > IPADDR=nnn.nnn.nnn.62
 > NETMASK=255.255.255.128
 > GATEWAY=nnn.nnn.nnn.23
 >
 > If it set to BOOTPROTO=dhcp and comment out the other lines I'll get
 > "Determining IP information for eth0.... failed."

I hate to ask this, because it's my fault...
What's the output of 'rpm -q dhclient' ?

Looking through the packages lists, I don't see one for dhcp.
It would appear that I left it out, and you're the first to notice it.

Can you verify that dhclient is installed? It should be dhclient-3.0pl1-15
If it isn't installed, it's on the first CD, please install it and try
again.

That was it:
$ rpm -q dhclient
package dhclient is not installed

I installed the original distro version and '/etc/rc.d/init.d/network
restart' ran fine, and upgraded to the latest dhclient-3.0pl1-15.i386.rpm
which also ran '/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart' without a problem.

One more thing to fix, while you are at it:  If they select DHCP client,
don't prompt for a gateway ;-p

Otherwise, things seem great from command line.  I love using RULE for a
quick install to test out something.  However, I can't get Gnome running
with X, but I could care less as far as RULE is concerned (if I want X, I'll
use the regular installer).  It seems there are a ton of Gnome dependancies
not installed *shrug*

Jason Roysdon
http://jason.roysdon.net/