[RULE] Spreadsheet/DB of the SW, part 2

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 27 22:50:43 EET 2003

>From: "M. Fioretti" <m.fioretti at inwind.it>
<snip>
>Looks like we are all converging on this, doesn't it? (see also
>Colin's thread)

Yeah, it does look like that. I find it ironic that people who are excited
about "outdated" hardware are trying to produce user-friendly software,
which happens to be top-notch & better than the companies that earn money
doing it.

>The database, or whatever else, should ask: do you need
>IMAP email (not do you want Kmail or mutt) Do you need Javascript
>support (not : do you need mozilla or links) I've been saying this for
>years.

An interesting comparisson, is the script/whatever that helps us to
configure the kernel, when we compile. It never asks us which driver we
want. It just asks us if we want a TCP/IP driver, an ethernet driver, etc.
We never find out who made it, or how efficient it is.

Perhaps the install should be broken down to 2 completely seperate packages:
the configurator; & the installer. The configurator, probes hardware, asks
questions, & selects software. It is just as you said: something that can be
run anytime before the install. This will create a kickstart file, so that
no matter what, the installer will be able to install by kickstart. If the
user is a power user, he could edit the file to remove packages or edit this
& that. With our install methods, Aunt Tilley & most power users both use
the kickstart file. With the present Red Hat system, only some power users
use the kickstart file.

Perhaps we could have 2 boot disks & an optional data disk. With the 1st
boot disk, we could have the configurator, which has a lot good features to
be flexible, robust, & easy to use. Maybe the data could be stored on the
same disk. So, maybe it shouldn't have a compressed file system?  Does
anybody know how to store data on a boot disk? With the 2nd boot disk, we
could have the install which does everything that the other disk hasn't
done, & interacts very little, if @ all. For the optional data disk, maybe
that could contain any extra data. These disks are only options for the sake
of physical portability: you could configure a little @ work during lunch,
take home the disk, & configure some more @ home. There should be the option
to run these scripts on the main system without the use of floppy disks.
This would allow for the rebooting that we discussed, and/or simple
upgrading, and/or whatever. I don't imagine that the scripts would be any
different whether they are on floppies or not.

I think that this method is very powerful & covenient, @ the expense of user
friendliness. However, good documentation, & decent error messages should be
able to compensate.

Also, we could compile busybox for each disk to only contain the features
that we need for that disk's tasks. For the install disk, I don't think that
busybox will need very many features.

Also, we should try to remain open to using a FreeDOS boot disk for the
configurator. It requires an extremely small amount of disk space, & we are
only gathering information, & recording it as plain text, if I understand
correctly.

Also, if this is done properly, it could make it easier to fix broken
systems. Aunt Tilley could bring her kickstart file to Joe Hacker's house &
he could look over the file to see what might need to be installed, as well
as any hardware configurations that might need altering. I don't know; I'm
just thinking out loud.

If there are no more suggestions, then maybe this weekend, we could start
planning the steps that need to be taken.

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong