[RULE] MP3 Project: Kickstart & Syslinux.cfg

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Wed Mar 5 06:53:40 EET 2003

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 09:04 pm, Lloyd Thompson wrote:
> Hello I'm new to this list, and I am wondering to what extent RULE is
> similar to a normal Redhat CD.

Very similar. In fact, it uses stock Red Hat media for the install.

> I am making an MP3 juke box kit for the car that runs on a PC connected
> to a ps/2 numeric keypad and an LCD Display.
>
> Part of my project is making an auto installer that comes on a CD, that
> when booted from, re-partitions and formats the drives and turns the
> computer into a dedicated system to run the software.
>
> As I am new to C and Linux this is all fairly new, I have created a
> custom Red Hat CD (ISO) that runs a kick start script that performs the
> above, and have altered the Syslinux.cfg file such that once booted no
> user interaction is required. The problem I have is that the minimal
> install for RH8 is something silly like 450Mb, I would be more than
> happy if I could trim this down to something like 50Mb, which though
> large for a dedicated system is small compared to a large collection of
> MP3 song files.

I don't think you'll get it down to 50Mb, but you can trim quite a bit off
of the 450Mb. Currently, I believe the "miniconda" installer will use
about 300Mb. However, you can easily trim this down by editing the comps
file in the updates.img file.

> - Does RULE have kick start?

Miniconda is a modified version of the Red Hat anaconda installer, so yes.

> - Can I still modify Syslinux.cfg so no user input is required at boot
> time for the whole install? -

Yes

>  What version of Red Hat is RULE based on?

Versions are available for 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0

>  I chose RH8 as it has good sound support (crucial for my project), and
> Kick start makes the install easy. - What is the minimal install size?
> I do not require X support, just a console (must have sound support
> though!).

If you modify the comps file to suit your needs, this should be possible.
Again, I doubt 50Mb is possible using stock rpm packages, just look at
some of these directory sizes:
kernel:
29M     /lib/modules/2.4.18-24.8.0
glibc:
4.2M    /usr/lib/locale
5.0M    /usr/share/zoneinfo

There's ~40Mb gone...

If you want to have a look, the files for 8.0 are here:
http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/miniconda/miniconda-v0.8.0/