[RULE] Can I install Linux onto a 40Mb drive?

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Wed Mar 19 08:30:35 EET 2003

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 12:10:16 at 12:10:16PM +1100, Peter Edbrooke  peter at istnetworks.com  wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am new to this list, and have very little Linux experience.
>
> I have a computer with 64Mb Ram, but I only have a spare 40Mb hard drive.
>
> I wanted to use it as a gateway machine to the Internet, so I need to run a
> firewall (iptables preferably)
>
> And wanted to also play around with a VPN (FreeS/Wan) and maybe run a few
> servers on this machine.
>
> Is it possible to get Linux on such a small drive?

If you only need it as a firewall, probably yes, byt you need to start
from the current RULE iso (Red Hat 8 trimmed to, IIRC, ~300MB on disk, but it
still has a lot more than firewalling)

This assuming that you want (as everybody here, right?) use RH on that
PC, because you already know it, or any other reasons. Otherwise the
suggestions made about the router project or other very specialized
distros apply. Of course, I do hope that you can make a try with
RULE/RH 8 and let us know what happens: if you look in the list
archives, last month or so, there was a guy with similar space
requirements and the goal to build a juke box or similar, try to
contact him too.

Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

It's always socially unacceptable to be right too soon. -- RAH