[RULE] Install help [was: Re: What should go in the RULE install guide?]

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sun Mar 30 13:02:41 EEST 2003

On Sunday 30 March 2003 03:18 am, Da Worm wrote:
> >...are you familiar with insmod,
>
> No, but I could look it up if I knew that I needed it.
>
> >ifconfig,
>
> I have used this once or twice before in my experiments with Linux, but
> claim zero expertise.
>
> > & wget?
>
> No, but again, I could look it up if need be.  Google is my friend.
>
> > Do you know how to write a bash script using a for-loop?
>
> I am not sure why a for loop would be necessary to load a network
> driver, and use this to start an FTP install.  Back at some 6.x Redhat,
> I managed it without ever writing anything in Bash, but that was on a
> system fully supported.  I no longer have such a system for any current
> distro, hence my interest in RULE.
>
> >Do you have the correct modules copied onto disk 2?
>
> When copying from a windows environment, the files are not correctly
> marked as executable.  I suppose this is what insmod is for, but have
> yet to look it up, as I had no knowledge that I needed to.  Perhaps
> this is the clue that I need.

Hi Jeff,
This isn't as difficult as you've been lead to believe. Have you been able
to create a boot disk and disk2 using the rawrite utility?

If you are using Miniconda, see Marco's reply. If you are trying to use
Slinky, read on.

If you know what module(s) you need, simply copy them to a floppy using
the Windows box. Keep in mind that the installer contains a few common
modules on disk2 already. (The modules don't need to be executable, by
the way. They are loaded by the insmod command, not executed directly)
The included modules are:
3c501.o
3c59x.o
8390.o
ne.o
slip.o
tulip.o

Boot the installer, and then insert your floppy containing the modules.
Mount the floppy:
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
(You may see some output as 'mount' attempts to figure out the filesystem
type, but the floppy should get mounted.) Try to view the contents of the
floppy with 'ls /mnt/floppy' before deciding that it didn't mount.

If that fails, you may need to specify the filesystem type:
mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

You should then be able to insert your modules:
insmod /mnt/floppy/your_module.o

If the module(s) load, you can edit the init_network.sh script to handle
configuring the network. Actually, if you know what modules are needed,
you can specify them in the init_network.sh script and they will be
loaded. The commands specified in that script will work for the modules
included on disk2. If you do need a different module, just edit the path
in the insmod section of the script to reflect the modules location.

> I'll be happy to write up a "noobies guide" if only I could get past
> the initial hurdles.  I know I need a network driver on the boot disk
> (or the secondary driver disk).  I have found the scripts to modify to
> load this driver, and the command line parameters to pass to it.  What
> I don't know is how, from a windows box, to get the driver on the disk
> in such a way as I can run it.  Once there, and once it can be ran, I
> am sure I can continue on with an FTP installation (since I have no
> CD-ROM to install from on the target machine).  Its just getting there
> that is causing me grief.

I'll be happy to give you whatever help you need.
Could you tell me a little about the machine you are installing on? Single
hard drive, multiple hard drive, etc.? There may be easier ways to handle
the install.