[RULE] Install help [was: Re: What should go in the RULE install guide?]

Da Worm DaWorm at comcast.net
Sun Mar 30 20:57:45 EEST 2003

On 3/30/2003 at 5:02 AM Michael Fratoni wrote:

>This isn't as difficult as you've been lead to believe. Have you been able
>to create a boot disk and disk2 using the rawrite utility?

Yes, rawritewin works just fine, with the exception that it doesn't report any write errors.  The first disk I made didn't work, but the second one did.

>The included modules are:
>3c501.o
>3c59x.o
>8390.o
>ne.o
>slip.o
>tulip.o

Can I just delete these and add the de620 module I need?

>If the module(s) load, you can edit the init_network.sh script to handle
>configuring the network. Actually, if you know what modules are needed,
>you can specify them in the init_network.sh script and they will be
>loaded. The commands specified in that script will work for the modules
>included on disk2. If you do need a different module, just edit the path
>in the insmod section of the script to reflect the modules location.

The de620.o requires command line parameters.  I think they too can be put in the script, but am unsure.

>I'll be happy to give you whatever help you need.
>Could you tell me a little about the machine you are installing on? Single
>hard drive, multiple hard drive, etc.? There may be easier ways to handle
>the install.

>From my first message:

> Toshiba Satellite 115CS
>   P100, 16Meg RAM
>   C&T 65548 graphics chip
>   720 meg HD (replaced broken 810 meg that was standard)
>
> I do not have a CD Rom, and the only network interface I have is a D-Link
> DE-620 parallel port 10BaseT adapter.

Right now the machine is at a friends house, so it will be a few days before I can get to it.  He took it, hoping to put my HD in his laptop, install from there, then put the HD back into mine.  It seems his HD controller maps the drive differently than mine, because it won't even try to boot on mine.  He's got a 4G HD he's going to try on as well.

Thanks for the more detailed explanation.  Even if my friend succeeds, I'll probably go through all of this again, since it will be useful to know for later systems.  I'm not sure I should be disappointed or glad I don't have a PCMCIA network adaptor.  It seems as if that would be easier.  But while I actually have three cards, I don't have any dongles.  Figures, doesn't it?

Jeff.