[RULE] What should go in the RULE install guide?

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 31 04:34:45 EEST 2003

Michael Fratoni said:
>This isn't as difficult as you've been lead to believe.

Actually Michael, I *really* beg to differ on that, because rpm's
implementation ftp is *very* unreliable. If I recall correctly, then a
missed rpm could actually mean redoing the entire process from the
beginning, including the hardware configuration. I haven't used your scripts
in a while, so I don't know what it is like now, & this was never meant as a
criticism to you or your scripts [old or new]. It's just that if rpm fails,
then most things need to be done again. No offense intended.

>From: Da Worm <DaWorm at comcast.net>
>
> >...are you familiar with insmod,
>
>No, but I could look it up if I knew that I needed it.

Actually, you shouldn't have to unless you have a strange configuration. At
the time that I wrote that, I forgot that the scripts are able to handle
this, so you won't have to use insmod directly. Also, I wanted to get as
much information as possible. I never meant to scare you.

> >ifconfig,
>
>I have used this once or twice before in my experiments with Linux, but
>claim zero expertise.

Same as above.

> > & wget?
>
>No, but again, I could look it up if need be.  Google is my friend.

Well, I don't like Google. Maybe I can save you some time, with a bit of an
explanation. If I recall correctly, when you use rpm, you should be able to
just run it like "rpm -ivh http://myserver.com/my/directory/foobar.rpm".
Unfortunately, if errors occur, rpm won't try again. With wget, you can
fetch the rpms much more easily. I don't know your situation very well, so I
can't say what you should do. I would like to send some scripts that you
could use, but I think that they are still on the computer that I packed
away for going back to school. If that is true, then that means that I'll
have to rewrite them or unpack the box. I'm not sure that I want to do
either, so maybe I'll search the Internet to see if I stored them somewhere.

In the mean time, try to work with Michael, because it may be easier than I
think. If I can't find them on the Internet, then I'll try to rewrite the
Slinky scripts for you to use, as a temporary work around. If you can't get
it to work with Michael's help, then let us know where you are downloading
from. I think that Michael should be able to figure something out. He's
quite good @ this. I'm not trying to flatter him.

Sincerely, & with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong