[RULE] What should go in the RULE install guide?

Da Worm DaWorm at comcast.net
Wed Apr 2 06:25:04 EEST 2003

On 3/30/2003 at 9:32 PM Michael Fratoni wrote:

>As promised, a disk2.img containing the needed module:
>http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/slinky/slinky-v0.3.6.1/disk2.img

Ok, got the laptop back, as well as a whopping 2Gig drive for it ;).  Here's where I get...

1. Boot with slinky disk 0.3.6
2. At boot prompt, type linux mem=16M
3. Hit enter when prompted
4. cd scripts
5. nano init_network.sh
6. change MODULE1 to "de620.o"
7. Set desired IP, gateway, and nameserver
8. Add io=0x378 irq=7 utp=1 to end of insmod command line (verified these from the DOS based setup utility)
9. Comment out HOST1, etc.
10. Save with ^O, exit with ^X
11. sh init_network.sh

At this point, I see a banner for the DE620 driver, it shows me the adapter MAC address, and that the adapter has 32K of RAM and is usting UTP.  At this point, the system is completely locked up.  I can't even ALT-F2 to the second virtual console.  Hard lock.  If I pull the power on the DE620, it pops back to the shell prompt.  I was able to use this adapter in Win98, so I am sure it isn't defective.  Any other ideas?

Jeff.

P.S. My friend also gave me a PCMCIA network card, so I may try this later.  I worked on my plumbing this afternoon, so I am too tired to get much farther into it, and from your previous post, it seems you are having fun with RH9, so no hurry.