[RULE] Second attempt via FTP on Toshiba Satellite 115CS

Da Worm DaWorm at comcast.net
Mon Apr 7 05:46:13 EEST 2003

On 4/6/2003 at 9:21 PM Michael Fratoni wrote:

>Oh, my.
>You added 2 partitions to a drive that had been setup for windows? Did the
>room for the partitions already exist, or was this one large partition?
>You can't take a drive containing one large single partition and break it
>into 3 partitions. Well, you can, but it involves some work.

Yes, some work.  I used Partition Magic to shrink a 2Gig partition to 1 Gig, then verified Windows still boots up correctly.

>What says /dev/hda is bad?

When the setup script asks what drive you want to install to, it shows nothing but hda.  If I choose that (or hda3, or anything really) it doesn't like it, and asks if I want to try a different drive.  If I answer yes or no, it goes back to asking me what drive to install to.  Can't get past that.

>Did you use fdisk or cfdisk to partition the drive?

I used fdisk.  I created two new primary partitions.  The first was 64M and I changed it's type to 82 (Linux Swap).  The second was the rest of the drive.  These showed up as hda2 and hda3.

>Have you rebooted the installer? (If not _don't!)

Too late.

>Perhaps you can
>get some diagnostic info. The output of fdisk -l would be useful. The
>install log would be useful as well, if you haven't rebooted yet. If you
>haven't rebooted, could you try writting the install log to a floppy so
>you can mail it to me from a working machine? It should be in
>/scripts/install_log. If you have a formatted floppy, insert it, mount
>it, and cp /scripts/install_log /mnt/floppy
>
>I really need more details to determine where we are at.

I can try it as is now, but I have rebooted, so it may not be useful.  I'll see if I can find another floppy (rare around here, since I bought my CD Burner).

Jeff.