[RULE] Second attempt via FTP on Toshiba Satellite 115CS

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Mon Apr 7 06:24:21 EEST 2003

On Sunday 06 April 2003 10:46 pm, Da Worm wrote:

> Yes, some work.  I used Partition Magic to shrink a 2Gig partition to 1
> Gig, then verified Windows still boots up correctly.

Ahh, OK. That's good. Have you tried to boot Windows since the install
segfaulted? Is there important data on the Windows drive?

> When the setup script asks what drive you want to install to, it shows
> nothing but hda.  If I choose that (or hda3, or anything really) it
> doesn't like it, and asks if I want to try a different drive.  If I
> answer yes or no, it goes back to asking me what drive to install to.
> Can't get past that.

Hrmm, what does it not like about it? Error messages, warnings?

> I used fdisk.  I created two new primary partitions.  The first was 64M
> and I changed it's type to 82 (Linux Swap).  The second was the rest of
> the drive.  These showed up as hda2 and hda3.

That looks OK.

> >Perhaps you can
> >get some diagnostic info. The output of fdisk -l would be useful. The
> >install log would be useful as well, if you haven't rebooted yet. If
> > you haven't rebooted, could you try writting the install log to a
> > floppy so you can mail it to me from a working machine? It should be
> > in /scripts/install_log. If you have a formatted floppy, insert it,
> > mount it, and cp /scripts/install_log /mnt/floppy
> >
> >I really need more details to determine where we are at.
>
> I can try it as is now, but I have rebooted, so it may not be useful.
> I'll see if I can find another floppy (rare around here, since I bought
> my CD Burner).

Try booting, and then running fdisk -l, it should show all partitions, as
well as the partition types. If there is no major complaint and the
correct partitions show up, we can work from there.

If not, and you want to try again, run fdisk (or cfdisk) manually, and see
if you can create and write out the partition table.

Also running the installer and saving the install log would probably
contain some useful info. I know all about not having floppies available.
Before this project, I hadn't used one in years. ;)