[RULE] Again on mixing threads, was: How to install via FTP

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Wed Apr 2 07:08:27 EEST 2003

An explanation for my reaction to Jeff's post: PLEASE everybody note
the "practical reason" paragraph at the end, thank you.

On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 04:48:57 at 04:48:57AM -0500, Da Worm  DaWorm at comcast.net  wrote:
> >first of all, whenever you post a *new* question to *any* public
> >forum, please:
> >
> >	1) Compose a new message, don't just reply to the last one
> >	   you got on the list on a totally unrelated issue
>
> ...I don't see an install guide topic as being totally unrelated.
> Installing via FTP seems to me to be a totally relavant topic for
> an install guide, is it not?
>
> >	2) Give the message a subject matching its content
>
> Sorry about that, it seemed to me that installation issues were a very
> appropriate topic in which to ask my question.  Perhaps it was not.

Jeff,

In general, I am extremely thouchy about mixing threads, or asking
unrelated questions in one message, because they consume much much
more people time than spam. Even without filtering, spam can be
deleted by just looking at its title: in the other cases one has to
*read* a message to realize that it is not spam, but uninteresting.

In this particular case, my original message was meant to say: do you
like the current ToC of the install guide? Could you please post
back the ToC *only* marking the headers which you find unclear/outdated,
or inserting just the headers you miss?

Probably I forgot to make clear that I wanted the ToC only in that
thread (so we could focus on the "big" picture, the overall structure)

Certainly I did forget to specify "please keep actual discussions
about specific issues (ie the *content* not the title of specific
chapters) in separate threads. I apologize for that.

The practical reason for being so paranoid exists.
 If every issue has its
own thread, I can grab that content, and make a new documentation
chapter, almost instantaneously (once I find the time, of course). If
I have to read line by line ten messages, paste each paragraph to a
different file, then reformat the results, it takes much much longer.

Said this, yes, detailed explanations on FTP installs, especially for
laptops without bootable CD-ROM, (**) do have to go into the install guide!

Thanks in advance for any feedback on that, or any other contribution

(**) If a previous linux is already installed, the current guide lists
a trick to boot and then go to install from the cdrom.

--
Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

Da quando amo, riesco ad indossare i miei anni: non sono piu' vecchia
   --   Sarah Cristina Ceccarelli