[RULE] Spreadsheet/DB of the SW, part 2

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sun Apr 13 22:58:04 EEST 2003

First of all, I want to apologize that I've been absent from the list
for such a long time. I recently moved, and the phone company needed
more than a mont to give me phone and internet access here... So expect
some more replies to *really old* messages over the next days...

Eugene Wong wrote Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:00:40 -0800:

> >From: Martin Stricker <shugal at gmx.de>
> >...I still see a scenario where a reboot is
> >not desired: Imagine someone (like a student) who wants Linux
> >installed on his computer, but hasn't any network. He goes to an
> >install party or university, there a network card is plugged in, the
> >computer gets everything installed, the network card is removed and
> >everything works.

> I've never been to an install party before. It sounds like fun. I
> wonder if girls go. ;^)

Rarely. In overall, I'd say there are less than 10% females at Linux
meetings etc. For me it seems that females are more interested in the
*use*, not the *technology*. But I might be wrong...

> I don't understand how your scenario affects the install procedure.
> Even if someone is just lending you a network card, aren't you still
> allowed to reboot & continue installing before returning it?

You missed my point. ;-))) In my scenario there is *no need* to install
network support in the first place, so it shouldn't be installed at all.
Have the installer ask "I detected a network card. Do you want to
install network support?" instead!

> On an unrelated note, it might be useful to have a tutorial on the
> web site on how to make our own null cables [correct terminology?],
> so that people can install via PLIP.

It's called "Null-Modem cable". And such tutorials should be out there.
Already the first look at the usual suspect was successful:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PLIP-Install-HOWTO.html

> & if I understand correctly, you don't have to worry about
> interrupts. But then again, the person might want to setup a printer.

Welll, you would have to worry about interrupts if your parallel port's
interrupt has a conflict... ;-))) And the printer can be installed
later.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/