[RULE] Slinky for Red Hat Linux 9

Santos, Luis-Rodrigues Luis-Rodrigues.Santos at autoeuropa.pt
Thu Apr 17 09:31:21 EEST 2003

[clip]

> Ok, I've done some testing. Slinky-v0.3.7 (and it's new rpm binary) works
> fine for at least 7.3, 8.0, and 9 (Booting from a floppy and installing
> via cdrom). That's all I've had time to test. I wanted to be sure the rpm
> binary was going to work with older releases.

[clip]

Hi,

I've tested Slinky-v0.3.7 from CD iso image and from the floopies with RH
7.2 and I was unable to boot.

The problem is originated on the rpm package that is version 4.1 in
slinky-v0.3.7. and RH 7.2  brings version 4.0.3-1. I copied the rpm.gz from
v0.3.6 floppy to the v.0.3.7 floopy and the installation went without errors
and booting was ok too.

Now a kind of report on the problem:

- when decompressing the packages after the rpm package it gave errors on
all the packages.

#   part of install_log ( I have the complete file if someone is interested
)

warning: /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/glibc-common-2.2.4-13.i386.rpm: V3 DSA
signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
warning: /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/mailcap-2.1.6-1.noarch.rpm: V3 DSA
signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
warning: /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/setup-2.5.7-1.noarch.rpm: V3 DSA signature:
NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
warning: /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/filesystem-2.1.6-2.noarch.rpm: V3 DSA
signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
warning: group lock does not exist - using root
warning: group mail does not exist - using root
warning: /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/basesystem-7.0-2.noarch.rpm: V3 DSA
signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
warning: /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/glibc-2.2.4-13.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature:
NOKEY, key ID db42a60e

# end of part of install_log

- and when rebooting it gave the following error:

    No inittab file found
    enter runlevel:

- after entering any runlevel:

    Init: no more processes left in this runlevel

- I've tried going to tty2 and editing the file base_packages in
/root/scripts/7.2 just before the script decompresses the rpm.gz and deleted
the rpm-4... line in order to the rpm package won't be decompressed and
maintain the original.

    - the installation went without errors but after booting, at the login
I've never got a password prompt, just the login: prompt and in the booting
sequence I had the error:

    dmesg: command not found

- Finally, the solution was copying the rpm.gz from the 0.3.6 floppy to the
0.3.7 floppy and  all went well, bringing me to the conclusion that the
problem is really the rpm version.

Notes:    I didn't tried to enter from linux single

I hope this is clear and understandable, any doubt just ask.

Luis Santos