[RULE] Slinky for Red Hat Linux 9

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Thu Apr 17 14:46:53 EEST 2003

On Thursday 17 April 2003 02:31 am, Santos, Luis-Rodrigues wrote:

> I've tested Slinky-v0.3.7 from CD iso image and from the floopies with
> RH 7.2 and I was unable to boot.

You couldn't boot the installer, or the system didn't boot after
installation? I'm assuming the installer booted, but after installation,
the system didn't boot.

> The problem is originated on the rpm package that is version 4.1 in
> slinky-v0.3.7. and RH 7.2  brings version 4.0.3-1. I copied the rpm.gz
> from v0.3.6 floppy to the v.0.3.7 floopy and the installation went
> without errors and booting was ok too.

> Now a kind of report on the problem:
>
> - when decompressing the packages after the rpm package it gave errors
> on all the packages.

> #   part of install_log ( I have the complete file if someone is
> interested )

Yes, please send me the complete log (offlist is fine), if you could.

> warning: /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/glibc-common-2.2.4-13.i386.rpm: V3 DSA
> signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e

These are just warnings that rpm couldn't verify the package signature.
rpm-4.0.x expects the signatures to be found in root's gpg keyring.
rpm 4.1.x began importing the keys directly into rpm's database, using the
- --import flag to rpm.

In both cases, the installer lacks the ability to verify sigs during
installation. In the first case, it's because gpg isn't available during
installation. In the second, I'm not sure at the moment. The installer
does import the Red Hat GPG key, but still doesn't verify the packages. I
need to look into it more. I'm considering telling rpm not to check the
package signatures during installation to avoid these warnings.

> - and when rebooting it gave the following error:
>
>     No inittab file found
>     enter runlevel:
>
> - after entering any runlevel:
>
>     Init: no more processes left in this runlevel

It looks as though the initscripts package wasn't installed (or failed).

> - I've tried going to tty2 and editing the file base_packages in
> /root/scripts/7.2 just before the script decompresses the rpm.gz and
> deleted the rpm-4... line in order to the rpm package won't be
> decompressed and maintain the original.
>
>     - the installation went without errors but after booting, at the
> login I've never got a password prompt, just the login: prompt and in
> the booting sequence I had the error:
>
>     dmesg: command not found

If you have the install log from the failed install, I'd like to have a
look at it. it appears several packages didn't install properly. Possibly
all packages after the rpm package failed?

> - Finally, the solution was copying the rpm.gz from the 0.3.6 floppy to
> the 0.3.7 floppy and  all went well, bringing me to the conclusion that
> the problem is really the rpm version.

I don't doubt it, and I'm not really surprised. ;)
Possible solutions include having 2 versions of disk2 available (which is
fairly simple), or dropping support for the older releases as we go
forward. I can't go back to the 0.3.6 disk2 in all cases, because it
can't install Red Hat 9.

If you can send me the install logs, it would be helpful. In any case,
I'll look into this more myself as well.

Thank you for the feedback!