[RULE] Problem starting X (GUI)

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sun Apr 20 19:55:10 EEST 2003

On Sunday 20 April 2003 11:34 am, Ingo Lantschner wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a testingmachine with the following graphicscard:
>         GRAPHIC CARD MODEL :S3 86c765 Trio 64V+
>         GRAPHIC CARD RAM :2048 kB
>         GRAPHIC CARD BUS : PCI
>
> Installing Rule with Slinky 0.3.8 and RH 8.0 works fine up to the
> commandline.  Starting X (startx) does not work. After consulting some
> documentation I found out that I must start the xfs fontserver first.
> This did even not help me.  Still no GUI.

Hi Ingo, (and welcome!)

Let's double check the installed X packages:
$ rpm -qa | grep XFree

You can verify that no dependencies are left unsatisfied:
rpm -qa | grep XFree | xargs rpm -V

Can you verify that the font server is running?
$ /sbin/service xfs status

If it isn't running, as root:
# service xfs start

Make sure it starts automatically:
$ /sbin/chkconfig xfs --list
xfs             0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

If that output differs from yours, as root:
# chkconfig xfs on

Then, let's see the defined font paths:
$ /usr/sbin/chkfontpath

For the stock Red Hat version of X, the font path in XF86Config should
read:

FontPath   "unix/:7100"

Without that, the Xserver won't use the xfs font server.

If none of that helps, please let me know.

Good luck,