[RULE] Problem starting X (GUI)

Ingo Lantschner ingo at vum.at
Sun Apr 20 23:45:25 EEST 2003

Hi Michael,
thanks for the fast reply and for the very interesting set of commands.

> Let's double check the installed X packages:
> $ rpm -qa | grep XFree
XFree86-libs-4.2.0-72
XFree86-font-utils-4.2.0-72
XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.2.0-72
XFree86-4.2.0-72
XFree86-xfs-4.2.0-72
XFree86-base-fonts-4.2.0-72
XFree86-xauth-4.2.0-72

> You can verify that no dependencies are left unsatisfied:
> rpm -qa | grep XFree | xargs rpm -V
(nothing) - so IMHO anything ok

> Can you verify that the font server is running?
> $ /sbin/service xfs status
xfs is stopped - well this was because I tryed it with static fonts.
Seems as if this was not a good idea.

> If that output differs from yours, as root:
> # chkconfig xfs on
Ok, I did this and started the XFS manually afterwards.

> Can you verify that the font server is running?
> $ /sbin/service xfs status
its running now

> Then, let's see the defined font paths:
> $ /usr/sbin/chkfontpath
Current directories in font path:
1: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled
2: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled
3: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled
4: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
5: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1
6: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo
7: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic
8: /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1
9:

> For the stock Red Hat version of X, the font path in XF86Config should
> read:
>
> FontPath   "unix/:7100"
ok, I put the XFConfig back to this state

And the result is, that now we have some "GUI" - but it is not Gnome,
and I do not know what it is, please have a look at these pictures:
http://ingo.netomania.at/vum/GUI-Problem/index.html

Attached you find the logfile, which relates to this "GUI".

Thanks again for your efforts, Ingo.

Ingo Lantschner

	Marchettigasse 5/11, A-1060 Vienna
	Tel:             (+43-1) 595 5766