[RULE] Flux-Box integrated Slinky

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Thu May 1 07:39:44 EEST 2003

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 11:18 am, Ingo Lantschner wrote:

> > This is possible, and actually under development at the moment. If
> > you're willing to test the install, I'll make it available to you as
> > soon as it's ready. It will install using the iso image, which will
> > contain the fluxbox and kdrive rpm packages. (In addition to what is
> > already included.)
> >
> > Sound reasonable?
>
> yes, that would be perfect and exactly what we need for these two
> projects! As soon as we have the ISO we will test it.  If we should
> contribute anything else or test something in between, pls.  let me
> know.

OK...
I've got the first attempt done and it is currently installing on my
laptop. If it all works, and the post install configuration script
executes and does what I intended, I'll release it tomorrow evening. If
everything works properly, the user will have to do nothing other than
type "startx" after logging in. "root" will not get a .xinitrc file
during install. This isn't an oversight, if someone insists on running X
as root, they'll have to do a little work. Not a bad thing, in my mind,
as I don't think anyone should run X as root.

Note that the tinyX option only works for Red Hat Linux 9. You'll need Red
Hat's disks 1 and 2, as well as the Slinky ISO. (Burned to CD, other
install methods are not attempted.)

The installer now asks if you want to install tinyX. If you say yes, basic
XFree86 support is added automatically, the tinyX packages are added, and
both KDE and Gnome options are skipped. The post install config:
o makes the link /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa -> /usr/X11R6/bin/X
o Installs a modified version of 'startx'
o Creates /etc/skel/.xinitrc (So all users get a .xinitrc file, which
	calls fluxbox)
o sets up the xf86-corefonts (calling /usr/X11R6/bin/corefont_install.sh)

The packages I've added for tinyX are:

XFree86-TinyX-4.3.0-3RULErh9.i386.rpm
(the TinyX servers)

cabextract-0.6-1.i386.rpm
(Needed by xf86-corefonts)

xf86-corefonts-0.2.1-2.noarch.rpm
(Microsofts "core fonts for the web" truetype fonts)

fluxbox-0.1.14-1RULErh9.i386.rpm
(Window manager)

nano-1.2.0-1.rh9.i386.rpm
(Replaces the static version included with the installer)

whichcd-0.3.1-1.noarch.rpm
(Another of my silly projects. Helps find packages on CD.)

Like so:
$ whichcd -v 9 bash
Searching in the RHL9 database.

Searching for bash...
CD-1:bash-2.05b-20.i386.rpm
CD-2:bash-doc-2.05b-20.i386.rpm
SOURCE-CD-1:bash-2.05b-20.src.rpm

Or even:
$ whichcd bash
You appear to be running Red Hat Linux 8.0.
I'll search for rpms for that version.

Searching for bash...
CD-1:bash-2.05b-5.i386.rpm
CD-2:bash-doc-2.05b-5.i386.rpm
SOURCE-CD-2:bash-2.05b-5.src.rpm

Post script:

The install finished as I was writting this message. It works fine, with
the exception of a few typos I've just fixed. After install, I was able
to log in and, with no further configuration, 'startx'. I'll generate new
images tomorrow evening and get them uploaded.