[RULE] On Microsoft core fonts

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Thu May 1 11:34:20 EEST 2003

On Thu, May 01, 2003 04:15:58 at 04:15:58AM -0400, Fratoni Michael  mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net  wrote:
> I went through this pretty thouroughly with Source Forge before they
> agreed to host the project, and they seem to agree.
>
> However, this does not meet the requirements of the GNU GPL. So, perhaps
> the package is better omitted? Thoughts?

My understanding at this point is that, since the fonts are not
compiled together with anything else (are they?), they can happily
coexist on the same iso/HD with GPL stuff. Of course, IANAL,
etc. etc..

All considered I'd assume that we can safely risk to keep them in FOR
US (as in "we", not USA). If and when MS comes yelling at us, and
since we *are* not profiting from this, we'll just apologize and
remove them immediately.

As matter of fact, however, things are different: as far as we know,
there might really be somebody out there downloading the ISO and
selling thousands copies of it 5 bucks each.

Good luck to him, but, just to be safe, this means building two isos,
one with MS core fonts, one without, and writing in big letters in the
web page that only the first can be sold.

[FOR MICHAEL]: being ISO time again, please save the history and send
it to me, to make a web page on the building process: this would allow
folks with the RH CDs from local magazines, and no bandwidth, to build
it at home without downloading costs.

Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

Computers are useless. They can only give you answers. -- Pablo
Picasso