[RULE] On Microsoft core fonts (and building slinky)

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Thu May 1 14:29:47 EEST 2003

On Thursday 01 May 2003 04:34 am, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Thu, May 01, 2003 04:15:58 at 04:15:58AM -0400, Fratoni Michael
> wrote:

> My understanding at this point is that, since the fonts are not
> compiled together with anything else (are they?), they can happily
> coexist on the same iso/HD with GPL stuff. Of course, IANAL,
> etc. etc..

No, the fonts are packaged alone, with just the addition of a script to
install and configure them.

> All considered I'd assume that we can safely risk to keep them in FOR
> US (as in "we", not USA). If and when MS comes yelling at us, and
> since we *are* not profiting from this, we'll just apologize and
> remove them immediately.

Exactly.

> As matter of fact, however, things are different: as far as we know,
> there might really be somebody out there downloading the ISO and
> selling thousands copies of it 5 bucks each.
>
> Good luck to him, but, just to be safe, this means building two isos,
> one with MS core fonts, one without, and writing in big letters in the
> web page that only the first can be sold.

Or let those wishing to sell the CD build their own image. ;)

> [FOR MICHAEL]: being ISO time again, please save the history and send
> it to me, to make a web page on the building process: this would allow
> folks with the RH CDs from local magazines, and no bandwidth, to build
> it at home without downloading costs.

I use a set of scripts to build everything. Would the scripts as well as
directory listings (and notes as to their purpose) help?

Basic steps:
o Prepare directories containing everything on each disk.
o Run the scripts, namely:
makedisk.sh
makedisk2.sh
makepcmcia.sh
makeiso.sh

It's the directory preparation that takes some work. Initially, I had to
build and install uClibc, compile busybox, fdisk, nano, mke2fs (creating
static binaries linked against uClibc) Compile the boot kernel and
modules, etc.. I've no problem helping anyone who wants to try, but
downloading and compiling everything required will take much more time
than downloading the iso image.