[RULE] PR or "bringing it on the street" (was Office on fluxbox)

Ingo Lantschner ingo at vum.at
Fri May 2 09:30:16 EEST 2003

> 1) suggest that you subscribe (maybe only for a while) to the general
> Red Hat 9 users list
ok, done

FYI: I am also subscribed to AFLUG, the African Linux Users Group. As
soon as we have this package for Zambia and Congo finished we should
annonce it there. Just as a taste of what is discussed there:

---
From: "Victor van Reijswoud" <victor at umu.ac.ug>
To: <aflug at globalcn.tc.ca>

At Uganda Martyrs University two projects were initiated last year.
The first, also the most ambitious one, aims at replacing all proprietary
software at the university campus. We aim at replacing both the backend
(server side) and front end (user side). At the moment the first
objectives are reached and at the server side 95% of the proprietary
software is replaced, amd over the summer break all public computers
will transfered to OSS. In the second project we aim to revive old 386
computers in order to distribute them to local schools. Old computers
are not, as most of the people in the industry think, useless and they
are available in plenty.
Mechanically they are still working in most of the cases, but they are
outclassed by the software industry. New software requires too much
capacity of the computer and the older software that is needed to get
some performance is no longer available. On the basis of the work of the
developers of IBM (http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux), the
ICT team of the university, together with the University of Nijmegen in
the Netherlands and a small German consulting firm, are trying to
implement a lightweight Linux version. When successful, a new standard
distribution for primary and secondary schools can be prepared that can
be used on donated computers.

Regards

Victor
---

> What you will do this summer in Africa is ... the first real world
> deployment of RULE to end users. It is essential that we make this
> widely known, and pass as much as possible of this work to other end
> users, without restarting from scratch.
What we generally do during the implementation is that we make at least
plenty of photos or even films. The media is pretty interested in such
stuff so we have films on TV or articles in newspapers from time to time
with no effort from our side. In this context the rule-project should
hopefully benefit. Of course we offer you any material (photos and films)
for free, if you ever want it. I can imagine, that a photo taken inside
of a hut or tent with someone sitting in front of a rule-installed PC is
a nice thing to have for PR :-) We will do our best to get such images.
May be you want to have a look at http://www.vum.at/  - but most is in
German:
o English content is at http://www.vum.at/english/index.html
o Videos: http://www.vum.at/content/downloads/start-downloads.html

May be at this place some context: In Congo we already have equiped two
schools with Windows 98-PCs in September 2002. In August we plan to
equipe 2 other schools with the more sustainable Linux. In Zambia it's
our first project, a small group from the humanist movement. And there
we start from the beginning with Linux.

Bye for now, Ingo.

Ingo Lantschner

	Verein zur Unterstuetzung von Menschen