[RULE] FWD: Rule 0.8.0 and signal 15

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Fri May 2 19:55:32 EEST 2003

Al,

First of all, thanks for your compliments about the project, is nice
to see that RULE is felt like the solution of *real* problems.

I am forwarding your message to the RULE mailing list, both because I
don't know the answer myself, and because in that way any answer
remains in the archive and I can add it to documentation, sooner or
later.

Please subscribe to the RULE list (even temporarily, just to fix this
problem of yours) to receive and try any feedback directly. The URL to
subscribe is reachable from our web page.

----- Forwarded message from Al Bennett <al at plasticfish.co.uk> -----

Subject: Rule 0.8.0 and signal 15
From: "Al Bennett" <al at plasticfish.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 15:20:22 +0100
To: <marco at rule-project.org>

Hi Marco

I found the Rule project after much searching for help installing Redhat 8
on a low memory system.  I really like what you have done, it's fantastic
that some people have decided to fix anaconda's crazy memory requirements.

I do have a problem though, I'm still getting the same error as with
Redhat's own version of anaconda!  I'm probably doing something stupid here
but I could use your help figuring out what's going on here.  Basically I'm
using a old P120 with 24 meg of ram (planning to install Redhat 8).  I
couldn't
find miniconda version 8 from the link provided in the installation guide(at
http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/rule/miniconda/).

Somehow I ended up finding it at
http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/miniconda/miniconda-v0.8.0/ (which I
think might be someone's personal box...) I downloaded boot.img and
updates-0.8.0.img which I rawwrite'd onto floppies.  I booted with the boot
disk fine, then when it asked for the updates I stuck that in and it read it
for a bit then died with the same "install exited abnormally -- received
signal 15" which I saw with the regular Redhat boot disk.

At this point I switch to virtual term 2 and did a free and if gave the
total as 21828 and free as 296.  So somehow miniconda sucked in almost all
of the 24 meg available.  Am I using the wrong updates disk here?  The boot
floppy mentions Rule on the menu so it must be the right one.

I'm going crazy here, I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Many thanks in advance

Al

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

According to one popular definition, craziness is doing the same thing
over and over but expecting different results.