[RULE] Re: Diary: Installing with Slinky 0.3.9

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sat May 3 14:16:57 EEST 2003

On Saturday 03 May 2003 05:00 am, Ingo Lantschner wrote:

> ---
>
> Second try:
>
> Now the Stage2-Disk works - BUT same problem as above, I can not eject
> the CD-ROM - so I guess this has more to do with the firmware of the
> machine than with Slinky.

Odd. Did you try the 'eject' command from tty2? I doubt it would have
worked, but worth a try.

> Third try:
>
> 1. Powering of the machine, waiting 10 seconds -
>    OK now, until starting the copy-process from RH9 Disk1 - so it was
>    definitly NOT a Slinkyproblem.
>
> 2. During install from Disk 1:
>    * Problem reported: fontconfig

Hrmm, post install script failed. Should be minor, though.

> 4. During install from Slinky-ISO:
>    * MS-Corefonts: I should press 'q' - why?? (I pressed 'y', which
>      worked.

The core font install script was intended to be run from a more full
featured environment. It should display the EULA using less. 'q' should
allow you to quit the EULA.

> 5. Reboot:
>    machine hangs after 'Enabling swap space [ok]'
>    ==> I power it off
>
> 6. Second Startup: OK up to login

No idea. I've seen this myself after an install using both the stock
installer or slinky.

> 7. Login as user 'vum' OK
>
> 8. startx:
>    '... fluxbox: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0
> ...' 'waiting for X server to shut down Int 10h ... functioncall
> failed)' 'DPMS failed -1'
>    And I am back on the console
>

> I attach the logfile, please let me know what to do. Bye, Ingo.

Please try this:
Login (or su) root.
You need to install expat-1.95.5-2.i386.rpm from the first CD.
(rpm -ivh /mnt/cdrom/Redhat/RPMS/expat-1.95.5-2.i386.rpm)
Then, run fc-cache

log out, and back in. startx should work.

expat is currently included as part of the network package list, I'll have
to move it to the base or tinyx package group. It wasn't an issue before,
as both the KDE and Gnome groups pulled in the network group.