[RULE] Re: Slinky 0.3.9 on Highscreen P233, 64MB

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sun May 4 15:33:44 EEST 2003

On Sunday 04 May 2003 07:08 am, Ingo Lantschner wrote:
> > maybe you need to tell the system which window manager to use, and
> > which apps to start? Keep in mind that a RULE-ified Red Hat system
> > has much less configuration done beforehand.

Marco,
The latest version of slinky, (if the user selects the "tinyX" option),
attempts to set up tinyX and fluxbox during the install.

> hmh, the strange thing here is, that I did a Slinky 0.3.9-install just
> a day before, and to my opinion I only changed the hardware - I think I
> took the same options as on the machine one day ago and there I had the
> expected result: after typing startx a fluxbox-deskop - w/o any
> additional configuration.

Hrmm, I'd expect most hardware to work with the Xvesa X server. A few
things to check and verify, though.

# ll /usr/X11R6/bin/X
Make sure X is a link to Xvesa.

Options for the X server are defined in /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
Find the line "defaultserverargs=-screen 800x600x24 -2 button"
Try changing the  depth from 24 to 16 (or even 8)
Try changing the size to 640x480x24 (or 16 or 8...)

You might also try running /usr/X11R6/bin/Xesa -listmodes
Which may tell you what modes your video bios is capable of.
On my laptop, this gives me several possible options:
(It also tells me the 24 bit depth I specified is probably ignored) ;)

/usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa -listmodes
VBE version 2.0 (CHIPS 65550 Super VGA)
DAC is switchable, controller is VGA compatible
Total memory: 2048 kilobytes
0x0006: 640x200x1 (monochrome) Planar (1 planes)
0x000D: 320x200x4 Planar (4 planes) (no linear framebuffer)
0x000E: 640x200x4 Planar (4 planes) (no linear framebuffer)
0x0010: 640x350x4 Planar (4 planes) (no linear framebuffer)
0x0011: 640x480x1 (monochrome) Planar (1 planes)
0x0012: 640x480x4 Planar (4 planes) (no linear framebuffer)
0x0013: 320x200x8 PseudoColor
0x0100: 640x400x8 PseudoColor
0x0101: 640x480x8 PseudoColor
0x0102: 800x600x4 Planar (4 planes) (no linear framebuffer)
0x0103: 800x600x8 PseudoColor
0x0104: 1024x768x4 Planar (4 planes) (no linear framebuffer)
0x0105: 1024x768x8 PseudoColor
0x0106: 1280x1024x4 Planar (4 planes) (no linear framebuffer)
0x0107: 1280x1024x8 PseudoColor
0x0110: 640x480x15 TrueColor [5:5:5:0]
0x0111: 640x480x16 TrueColor [5:6:5:0]
0x0113: 800x600x15 TrueColor [5:5:5:0]
0x0114: 800x600x16 TrueColor [5:6:5:0]
0x0116: 1024x768x15 TrueColor [5:5:5:0]
0x0117: 1024x768x16 TrueColor [5:6:5:0]
0x0120: 640x480x4 PseudoColor
0x0122: 800x600x4 PseudoColor
0x0124: 1024x768x4 PseudoColor
0x0128: 1280x1024x4 PseudoColor

Failing all of that (But please post the results so far, so I'll know)...

You can try the Xfbdev server.
cd /usr/X11R6/bin
rm -f X
ln -s Xfbdev X

reboot
At the lilo screen, quicky hit ctrl x to get to drop out of the graphical
boot screen.

Then, at the prompt, enter:

linux vga=787

Once booted, see if X will start and run using the frame buffer device.

> Perms seem to be ok (-rwxr-xr-x)
> Content ist:
> ---
> exec /usr/X11R6/bin/fluxbox
> ---
>
> After adding the line you suggested it reads so:
> ---
> exec /usr/bin/X11/xterm &
> exec /usr/X11R6/bin/fluxbox
> ---

Let's change it back to just listing fluxbox, while we are trying to track
this down. The fewer points of potential failure, the better. :)

> The result is the same, a blank, dark screen. The resulting logfile
> (thanks for this advice!) reads now:
> ---
> Interrupt pointer doesn't point at ROM
> Interrupt pointer doesn't point at ROM
> Interrupt pointer doesn't point at ROM
> Interrupt pointer doesn't point at ROM
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
> XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
>       after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> ---
>
> Unfortunatly I do not know what ROM is in this context - if I consider
> the context (only the hardware changed, not the software) it may be a
> problem with the videoadapter?!?!?

I don't know what that means either. ;)
TinyX doesn't do much logging by design. All that is clear to me is that X
failed, and never got to the point of trying to load the window manager.