[RULE] Re: Slinky 0.3.9 on Highscreen P233, 64MB

Ingo Lantschner ingo at vum.at
Sun May 4 21:11:53 EEST 2003

> # ll /usr/X11R6/bin/X
> Make sure X is a link to Xvesa.
This is ok

> Try changing the size to 640x480x24 (or 16 or 8...)
640x480x16 gives nearly the same result as already reported. With the
exception that the console returns to the normal prompt.
---

Interrupt pointer doesn't point at ROM
Interrupt pointer doesn't point at ROM
Interrupt pointer doesn't point at ROM
Interrupt pointer doesn't point at ROM

Fatal server error:
no screens found
XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
---

> You might also try running /usr/X11R6/bin/Xesa -listmodes
very strange output but fortunalty we find here again this strange
output from the X_log:
---
Interrupt pointer doesn't point at ROM
Interrupt pointer doesn't point at ROM
0x0006: 640x200x1 (monochrome) Planar (1 planes)
0x000D: 320x200x4 Planar (4 planes) (no linear framebuffer)
0x000E: 640x200x4 Planar (4 planes) (no linear framebuffer)
0x0010: 640x350x4 Planar (4 planes) (no linear framebuffer)
0x0011: 640x480x1 (monochrome) Planar (1 planes)
0x0012: 640x480x4 Planar (4 planes) (no linear framebuffer)
0x0013: 320x200x8 PseudoColor
---

==> I change the size to 640x480x4
screen gets blank - this time it does not return to the prompt
oops, it does return, all I have to do is to change between the consoles.
---
Interrupt pointer doesn't point at ROM
Interrupt pointer doesn't point at ROM
Interrupt pointer doesn't point at ROM
Interrupt pointer doesn't point at ROM

Fatal server error:
no screens found
XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
---

> Failing all of that ...
>
> You can try the Xfbdev server.
> reboot
> linux vga=787
hmh, this gives me a typically "wrong videomode screen": First many
pinguiens and a whole snowstorm of pixels ending in something not
readable. No no prompt - possibility to login. My "Linux-Bible" does not
mention vga=, also I can not find the manpage for kernelparameters. So I
do not make more trys with other vga=... since I do not know what this
parameter is for.

Just to avoid that we waste too much time on a silly problem - I will
install a standard RedHat now and if this shoes the same problem we
consider it to be a broken videoadapter and I will go for a replacement
HW. I will report the results soon here.

Thanks in the meantime for your advices, Ingo.

Ingo Lantschner

	Verein zur Unterstuetzung von Menschen
	Marchettigasse 5/11, A-1060 Wien
	Tel (+43-1) 595 5766