[RULE] Re: Slinky 0.3.9 on Highscreen P233, 64MB

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sun May 4 21:53:21 EEST 2003

On Sunday 04 May 2003 02:11 pm, Ingo Lantschner wrote:

> ---
> Interrupt pointer doesn't point at ROM
> Interrupt pointer doesn't point at ROM
> 0x0006: 640x200x1 (monochrome) Planar (1 planes)
> 0x000D: 320x200x4 Planar (4 planes) (no linear framebuffer)
> 0x000E: 640x200x4 Planar (4 planes) (no linear framebuffer)
> 0x0010: 640x350x4 Planar (4 planes) (no linear framebuffer)
> 0x0011: 640x480x1 (monochrome) Planar (1 planes)
> 0x0012: 640x480x4 Planar (4 planes) (no linear framebuffer)
> 0x0013: 320x200x8 PseudoColor
> ---

This looks like a very crippled or broken card to me, but that is strictly
a guess.

> > Failing all of that ...
> >
> > You can try the Xfbdev server.
> > reboot
> > linux vga=787
>
> hmh, this gives me a typically "wrong videomode screen": First many
> pinguiens and a whole snowstorm of pixels ending in something not
> readable. No no prompt - possibility to login. My "Linux-Bible" does
> not mention vga=, also I can not find the manpage for kernelparameters.
> So I do not make more trys with other vga=... since I do not know what
> this parameter is for.

Based on your -listmodes output, you might try
linux vga=769

Other possibilities:
linux vga=ask
Which should allow you to try a few of what I'll paste below.

# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
# vga = 791
# Normal VGA console
# vga = normal
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
# vga=791
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k
# vga=790
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
# vga=773
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k
# vga=788
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k
# vga=787
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256
# vga=771
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k
# vga=785
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k
# vga=784
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256
# vga=769

> Just to avoid that we waste too much time on a silly problem - I will
> install a standard RedHat now and if this shoes the same problem we
> consider it to be a broken videoadapter and I will go for a replacement
> HW. I will report the results soon here.

Excellent idea. I'm also asking around a bit to see if anyone has any
ideas.