[RULE] Re: Slinky 0.3.9 on Highscreen P233, 64MB

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sat May 10 08:15:36 EEST 2003

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 05:45 am, Ingo Lantschner wrote:
> > Ok, how about one more test?
> > Delete and recreate the X link, so that it points to the normal
> > Xserver (XFree86).  Run redhat-config-xfree86 to set it up.
>
> Michael, I think I have to pause (not stop) at this point. The link
> setting was easy, but this configurator needs python, which needs some
> packages not listed with whichcd, etc. This machine, I was testing is a
> single one, it is not crucial for the projects we have in queu (and for
> which some people in Zambia are already waiting).  So before the
> machines for the already committed projects are not finished, I have
> now again to work on them.  If you get any feedback from the XFRee86
> developers pls.  let me know - I keep the machine with rulified RH9 and
> TinyX/fluxbox near me, to contunue the test later on.

Not a problem. I've been busy the past several days, but I do have some
news to report finally.

I've rebuilt the installer.... again. Uploading now.
The X package lists are fixed, and dependency issues are resolved.

You can now do a slinky install, select only the TinyX package set, and
have a working X. Both the stock XFree86 and TinyX servers are available.
By default, the install sets up the Xvesa server, however, there is now a
script added "/root/scripts/restoreX" which restores the /usr/X11R6/bin/X
link, as well as the 'startx' script.

The ISO also contains the icewm and qvwm window manager packages, which
can be installed after the initial setup. They both require the libungif
and imlib packages from CD1. The needed line for both is already added
and commented out in ~/.xinitrc.

http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/slinky/slinky-v0.3.92/
The ISO is here:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/rule/slinky/slinky-v0.3.92/

To use the stock XFree86 server, simply install, reboot, login as root,
execute /root/scripts/restoreX, add any desired window manager packages,
log out, log in as a normal user, edit .xinitrc to select a window
manager, and startx. You shouldn't have to run redhat-config-xfree86, as
kudzu should generate a working config file at boot time. You can run it
manually if need be, of course.

Should be painless for the most part. Please let me know how it goes when
you get a chance. No hurry.

Thanks again for all your help and patience testing.