[RULE] Windowslike Desktop

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sun May 11 02:19:11 EEST 2003

On Saturday 10 May 2003 12:40 pm, Jason Bechtel wrote:
> So Ingo doesn't get the wrong impression of
> IceWM, there are a lot of features of IceWM that
> you don't have turned on in your screenshot, such
> as the clock, various system monitors (net, CPU,
> e-mail), the Win9x themes, icons in the "Start"
> menu, etc.

Not so much not turned on, as not compiled in... ;)
I was playing around with various ./configure options, and found '--enable
light'. It made for a nice small package, but a bit sparce on options.

I've built new packages, which include the fix for ingo's reported "no
such user" warnings, as well as removing the "--enable light" option.
New screenshot:
http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/RPMS/kdrive/9/screenshots/icewm-screenshot2.png

In the lower right corner, on the task bar, I have:
network monitor, cpu monitor, email, and a digital clock.

Packages are here:
http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/RPMS/icewm-1.2.7-3RULErh8.0.i386.rpm
http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/RPMS/icewm-l10n-1.2.7-3RULErh8.0.i386.rpm
http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/RPMS/icewm-themes-1.2.7-3RULErh8.0.i386.rpm

> All of this is configured in just a few files.
> The master files are in /etc/X11R6/lib/X11/icewm
> (or something like that).

Everything is in /usr/share/icewm/ (The above is probably the default, but
I configured the package to use Red Hat's default data directory
structure.)

Creating ~/.icewm and copying the files there is probably the best way to
make modifications. Those files are marked as config files, so rpm
shouldn't replace them on upgrade, but better safe.

It looks like the main config file is /usr/share/icewm/preferences

Everything in that file is commented out, with the default value noted.
Looks fairly simple to make modifications.

Ingo, if you create a suitable template for that file, and place it in
/etc/skel/.icewm/ on your machines, each new user will get the stock
config file in their home directory when their account is created.

> Finally, a while back I wrote a login script that
> simply compiled several sub-sections of the icewm
> configuration file in my personal .icewm
> directory with the system-wide settings file and
> wrote it to ~/.icewm/preferences.  This
> accomplishes a merge of system-wide and
> user-specific settings.  It also allows for
> setting up of default personal settings for a new
> user.  I could dig those up and share them with
> the list if need be.
>
> I also wrote some little Tcl/Tk applets to make
> the mail notification tray more useful.  I could
> share those as well if there's interest.

I'd be interested in seeing them.