[RULE] Some feedback and suggestions for Slinky 0.3.92

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sat May 17 08:50:38 EEST 2003

On Friday 16 May 2003 12:54 pm, Ingo Lantschner wrote:
> Hi,
> we finally downloaded the Slinky ISO 0.3.92 and made our test. First of
> all, it runs fine, we did not encounter any serious problem: The bug,
> which forced us to use the Stage 2 Floppy seems to be solved, we even
> could boot from the CD w/o any floppy. We selected only the package
> TinyX/Fluxbox. Typing startx worked fine - we got the fluxboxdesktop.

Excellent

> Also we found the already prepared lines in ~/.xinitrc. Pointing the
> windowmanager to wmice, did not work. Later I realized that is by
> design, since wmice must be installed by hand as already described here
> on the list.

Not anymore, icewm and it's dependencies have been added to the tinyX
package lists, and are installed by default. Icewm is now preselected as
the default window manager.

> There are three points in the installationprocess which have the
> potential to confuse someone:
>
> 1. At the beginning: One must type enter to start the shell and than
>    type /scripts/setup.sh
>
>    Suggestion: The already shown line "Waiting for enter to start ..."
>                my be completed with the following line/text: "Hint:
>                Pressing Enter now, will allow you start installation.
>                After you see the prompt, you may type
> '/scripts/setup.sh' to start the installation-process."

I'll look into it.

> 2. After RH CD1 the system ejects the CD, askes for CD 2, reloads the
>    CD-tray immediately, so that you have no chance to take the CD1 out
>    and finger the CD2 in and then asks for the Slinky-CD. I guess this
>    is because there is nothing to install from CD2.

Hrmm, did the screen blank during install? Perhaps you hit enter to bring
it back? If so, don't do that. ;) Backspace is a safe key to use to bring
the display back, enter is not.

> 3. At the end, when the MS Corefonts are installed, the legal advice
>    should be terminated with q, which makes no sense since the EULA is
>    not "lessed" on the screen.
>
>    Suggestion: The line stating one should press 'q' should be removed.

I'll see what I can do.