[RULE] Some feedback and suggestions for Slinky 0.3.92

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sun May 18 09:15:45 EEST 2003

On Friday 16 May 2003 12:54 pm, Ingo Lantschner wrote:
> Hi,
> we finally downloaded the Slinky ISO 0.3.92 and made our test. First of
> all, it runs fine, we did not encounter any serious problem: The bug,
> which forced us to use the Stage 2 Floppy seems to be solved, we even
> could boot from the CD w/o any floppy. We selected only the package
> TinyX/Fluxbox. Typing startx worked fine - we got the fluxboxdesktop.
>
> Also we found the alread prepared lines in ~/.xinitrc. Pointing the
> windowmanager to wmice, did not work. Later I realized that is by
> design, since wmice must be installed by hand as already described here
> on the list.
>
> There are three points in the installationprocess which have the
> potential to confuse someone:
>
> 1. At the beginning: One must type enter to start the shell and than
>    type /scripts/setup.sh

This has been changed. The system now boots, and asks if you want to start
the installer. Answering anything other than 'yes' or 'y' will drop you
to a shell after telling you how to start the installer. As a side
effect, typing 'exit' in the shell respawns the start up script, and you
are again prompted to start the installer.

> 3. At the end, when the MS Corefonts are installed, the legal advice
>    should be terminated with q, which makes no sense since the EULA is
>    not "lessed" on the screen.
>
>    Suggestion: The line stating one should press 'q' should be removed.

Done as well. You no longer see the above message.

> Beside of that, may I ask Michael for an updated Slinky which includes
> one more select-option for installing the ice-windowmanager (including
> imlib and libungif). We definitly decided to use ice for the trainings
> in Zambia and we do not want to make the installation of the basesystem
> too complex.

icewm (I know, I already covered this) is now inclided by default.
I also added the tk_newmail script provided by Jason Bechtel to the icewm
package. The config (preferences) file is already setup to work with it.
/etc/skel/.icewm/preferences is also included. All new users will get a
.icewm directory in $HOME. Basically, when the user has new mail, a
message pops up allowing them to open a mail client. I've set it up to
call pine.

Additionally, there is now an option added to select AbiWord and it's
dependencies for installation.

> What we did not test yet, was the newly included option for restoring
> XFree86, this will be done and reported later.

I've also added /root/scripts/restore_tinyX, so you can now switch back
and forth between TinyX and stock XFree86 with ease.

Complete changelog:
slinky-v0.3.93  - May 18, 2003
                - Added abiword package list.
                - Fixed tty5 logging.
                  No more "couldn't write to log on tty5" messages.
                  Logging (Minimal) on tty5 is now functional.
                - Updated several tinyX rpm packages.
                - Updated the xf86-corefonts package to remove a
                  potentially confussing message. (TinyX subpackage)
                - Added /root/scripts/restore_tinyX
                  allows switching between tinyX and stock XFree servers.
                - Start shell on tty1 without waiting for <enter>
                - Offer to begin installation automatically at boot.
                - Made icewm the default window manager for TinyX
                - Added tk_mail and ~/.icewm/preferences to the
                  icewm rpm package.
                - tk_mail script provided by Jason Bechtel.

slinky-v0.3.93 is currently uploading. Feedback welcome.
Let me know if you find anything that needs changing, please.
http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/rule/slinky/slinky-v0.3.93/