[RULE] make use of "nice" to prioritize threads, & swap spacefor preloading?

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Mon May 26 07:28:55 EEST 2003

>From: Michael Fratoni <mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net>
<snip>

>"man nice" for details, but basic usage would be:
>
>nice -n program program_args
>Where n is a number from -20 (highest priority) to 19 (lowest)
>
>See also "man renice" to alter the priority of a running application.

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised that I never thought of doing that before
I emailed you. I did search Google, though; obviously not very well.

So, in my fiddling around with the 2 programs, I managed to speed my
computer up a bit.

The 1st thing that I did was make all of the root user processes 19 by
default. When I'm compiling or doing whatever as root, then I'm not in a
rush, & I am willing to make it go slower so that user eugene can surf the
web faster. To set this only for root, I entered the following line in
/etc/profile where the prompt was set for root:
/usr/bin/renice 19 -u root

& the 2nd thing that I did was add the following in .../program/soffice
# execute soffice binary
# there is a bug in solaris sh that prevents the use of "$@"
# because it cannot cope with spaces in directory names
if [ "X${plugin_mode}" = "Xtrue" ]; then
        SAL_IGNOREXERRORS=true
        export SAL_IGNOREXERRORS
        exec nice -n 19 "$sd_prog/$sd_binary" -plugin "$@"
else
        exec nice -n 19 "$sd_prog/$sd_binary" "$@"
fi

For soffice, all I did was insert "nice -n 19" to the code that was already
there. This is useful, because you can run quickstart & have it run @ a low
priority.

I hope that this is helpful for people. I've noticed that my system runs
much smoother even when OpenOffice.org is loading up, & in some cases even
when something is compiling.

Sincerely, & with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong