[RULE] Slinky 0.3.94 diary

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sat May 31 03:10:07 EEST 2003

On Friday 30 May 2003 10:07 am, Ingo Lantschner wrote:
> Installing Slinky 0.3.94 on Pentium I 100MHz / 64 MB RAM:
>
> * Selecting root-filesystem: Typing Enter (w/o hda2) still gives
>   unnecesary grep-message.

Hrmm, is this the same location in the install, or is this another?

The one I fixed is at the point where the user now sees:

"What device would you like to use for installation?"

I've verified that hitting enter will result in the user being prompted
for a valid entry.

Perhaps I fixed the wrong bug last time.

After some searching....
I've found it. This is another bug.
It's fixed locally, and will be in the next release.

Thanks again for all your testing.

> * Selecting only en: Seems to work
>
> * extra_packages: where should this file be loacted and how should the
>   packages be named (Name, version or path)?

It's not really properly implimented, to be honest.
Unless the additional packages are on Red Hat CD 1 or 2, this isn't the
best way to handle additional packages.

> * Selecting: TinyX, OpenOffice, Abiword and Mozilla
>
> * In the Install_Log I find errormessage:
>   Error reported while installing mozilla-1.2.... .rpm
>   Error reported while installing mozilla-psm... .rpm
>
>   May be problem with the RedHat Shrike-media? Anyhow: Mozilla starts
> up fine on this system!

Could be the media. I've done several installs, and have had no error
reported.
How about checking the installed packages for problems?

'rpm -qa mozilla* | xargs rpm -V' should do it.

> Impression: The installationscript works fine, the system is
> considering the Hardware surprisingly fast - also OpenOffice works -
> but the startup of OO is slow.
>
> Abiword is a good solution on this system - really fast!

Yes, I'm pleased with the speed and usability here.

> df shwoes 567MB used - this gives even on 800Mb HDs more than 200 MB
> free space for userdata, which would be ok.
>
> Thanks to Michael for this new release!

Quite welcome, glad you've found it useful.