[RULE] Latest Release (README) [was: Re: slinky 0.3.94 doesnt'install lpc/lpstat?]

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sun Jun 1 07:13:32 EEST 2003

On Friday 30 May 2003 01:44 pm, M. Fioretti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I finally had the possibility to download the latest ISO, and install
> it on my P133/32 MB RAM laptop. I also installed OOo, just to see what
> would happen. Launching it, ie letting it run its first time setup
> script, the following message appeared in xterm:
>
> /usr/sbin/lpc: no such file or directory
> lpc: command not found
> lpstat: command not found
[...]
> Furthermore, I don't remember seeing in the slinky install process
> (which was smooth like silk!) any mention of printing stuff. Was I
> just distracted?

I've built new images..... again. ;)

The latest version has the previously discussed bug fixes. (Thanks again
Ingo for your testing!) I've verified that entering a null value when it
isn't expected is now caught and handled properly. At least in all the
places I know about. By all means, continue trying to break the
installer, and let me know what else I've missed.

I also added printing packages and date/time config support packages.

During install, I selected:
Network, Openssh, TinyX, Sendmail, AbiWord, Mozilla, OpenOffice, Printing,
and Dateconfig packages. I selected only en language support. No errors
were reported during install, nor are any reported in the install log.

After rebooting, disk space is as follows:
[root at shrike root]# df -h
/dev/hda3             4.9G  783M  4.0G  17% /
none                  251M     0  251M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda1              51M  9.0M   40M  19% /boot

Logging in as a normal user, I ran 'startx' opened an xterm, and ran
redhat-config-printer. I configured a networked printer that uses LPRing.
The slinky machine uses cups, as that is the new default for Red Hat.
A test page printed without difficulty.

Then I ran redhat-config-date, enabled ntp, entered my local ntp server
address, and verified that America/NewYork was the correct time zone. ntp
started, synced with my time server, and all was well.

Uploading now:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/rule/slinky/slinky-v0.3.95/

I'm considering removing support for the 7.x releases (and possibly 8.0)
from the installer before the 0.4.0 release. Thoughts or comments? I
really see no reason for the latest installer to support older versions.
If you want to use an older release, use an older installer. Sound
reasonable?

All of the latest package groups exist only for the 9 release. I really
don't want to spend the time developing and testing package lists for
older releases.

Removing 8.0 allows me to remove a kernel package from the ISO as well,
saving 12-13M.

Speaking of the ISO and size..
If anyone needs a CD of the ISO, and can't download and burn it, I can
provide and mail one. I'll provide the media and postage, as long as it
doesn't get unreasonable. Contact me off list.