[RULE] On support for older versions

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Sun Jun 1 10:49:01 EEST 2003

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 00:13:32 at 12:13:32AM -0400, Fratoni Michael  mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net  wrote:
[snip]
> I'm considering removing support for the 7.x releases (and possibly 8.0)
> from the installer before the 0.4.0 release. Thoughts or comments? I
> really see no reason for the latest installer to support older versions.
> If you want to use an older release, use an older installer. Sound
> reasonable?
>
> All of the latest package groups exist only for the 9 release. I really
> don't want to spend the time developing and testing package lists for
> older releases.

As already mentioned privately to Michael, I fully agree with
this. The whole RULE thing started exactly because we weren't
accepting the belief that older hardware can be used only with older
software, didn't it?

Supporting only the latest also makes life simpler and ISOs smaller,
hence...

Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

"Get real! This is a discussion group, not a helpdesk. You post
something, we discuss its implications. If the discussion happens to
answer a question you've asked, that's incidental."
				 -- nobull in comp.lang.perl.misc