[RULE] Proposals for the 0.4.0 Version of Slinky

Ingo Lantschner ingo at vum.at
Mon Jun 2 10:51:29 EEST 2003

Hi Michael,
I have some questions/proposals for one of the next releases of slinky:

1. The last Slinkys had more and more applications added (OO, Abiword,
Mozilla). To start them one either must manually configure iceWM or
start first xterm and launch the application from there. What about
"syncing" the GUI(s) with these new apllications? Attached you find a
menustructure (for iceWM), for which I can provide you the necessary
files and icons (if you like in a tarball already including the pathes)

If someone here would still prefer Fluxbox, I can try to build this for
Fluxbox too.

2. Post-Install Script: Of course it would be nice to have this and that
application integrated into Slinky, but in course of time I guess
Michael will get overloaded by a neverending whichlist and the
Slinky-Users will get confused by the many options and decicions they
have to take during installation. So you mentioned sometimes the
possibility to call a post-install-script. But I did not find out how to
use it:
> if [ -f /root/scripts/rulerc.sh ]; then
>     echo "Executing /root/scripts/rulerc.sh"
>     /root/scripts/rulerc.sh 2>> /root/scripts/install_log
>     echo Done.
> fi
>
> The above is executed right after installation of all the various rpm
> packages, and before setting the root password.
> Just copy your script to /scripts/rulerc.sh directory before beginning the
> install, and it will be moved to /root/scripts/rulerc.sh during the
> second_stage phase of the install.
a. What is confusing me: There is no such directory/file on the ISO.
b. Is rulerc.sh a script-file or a directory (in this case *all* files
in this directory will be executed?)?

3. Would it be possible to give an already customized slinky.config on
the ISO? (Which can then be altered and inkluded with mkisofs on a
special-purpose-ISO.)

Bye, Ingo.
Ingo Lantschner

	Verein zur Unterstuetzung von Menschen