[RULE] New install report available: futura

Jason Bechtel jasonbechtel at care2.com
Mon Jun 2 17:32:48 EEST 2003

I don't think kernel compilation support would be
worthwhile, for the reason you mentioned of
underpowered target systems.  However, the desire
for an optimally-compiled kernel is one that I share.

One solution would be to provide several standard
compiles of the kernel to choose from.  There
could be an i486, an i586, and an i686.  For the
i486, there could be one compiled with FPU (Math
co-processor) emulation and one without.  For all
variants, there could be a few 'grades' of
support, such as USB, SCSI, TheWorks,
BareBones/IDE, etc.

Other distros do this (Debian) and it seems to
work out okay, but I'm aware that our goal is to
keep down not only the install size but also the
ISO image size.

The way around this is to provide a mkisofs
front-end on the website.  Someone can go to the
website and build an ISO image with only the
packages of their choosing.  When they click
"Submit" the server compiles an ISO for them and
points them to their customized download.

Obvious problems with this would be the disk
space demand on the server and the time required
to build the ISO.  The custom ISOs could have a
12 hour expiration time to conserve disk space
and the server might have to be a powerful one to
keep the build times low.

Thoughts?

Jason

PS:  I just realized that it may be more
practical to just provide a kernel-compilation
front-end and allow people to customize the
kernel in the ISO.  Then these standard
"profiles" I mentioned above would merely be
recommended configuration sets that the user can
start from but then tweak.